I am not famous. I like it that way. I have always said "I'd rather be rich than famous." I am a fly under the radar kind of person. That being said, for some odd reason, I run into famous people quite a lot. I don't know why, I am not a "groupie" person...I don't go looking for celebrities, and yet, I run into them all the time. It's always weird for me 'cause I'm not an autograph person, and I'm not the kind of person who says "OMG, your _____." Usually, I do a double take and walk on, since I don't know what else to do. Here are just some of the famous folks I've seen along the way...and said nothing to:)
1) Baby and Ginger Spice-I was shopping after work when I was a trader, walked into a store in the Atrium, and there they were...short, tons of makeup, and thick accents. They were in town for a promotion, I saw them on the news wearing the outfits they were trying on in the store. The whole thing weirded me out, so I called the only 12 year old I knew and told her I saw the Spice Girls. She thought it was the coolest thing ever...she was the only one I knew that would.
2) Prince Charles-I was in Stratford Upon Avon with my Mom. We were seeing Taming of the Shrew. It was hot in the theater, during the intermission we went outside. He literally almost stepped on my foot as he walked by. Much shorter than I would have expected, and larger ears.
3) Michael Jordon-I was in a bar, he was in the corner with his entourage. It was so funny because everyone in the bar was acting all cool and not staring at him. The second he walked to the valet to get in his car, the whole joint pressed their faced against the window to stare. So funny.
4) Aaron Eckhardt- I was running on the waterfront this summer, and there he was, just running the other way. Hot, hot, hottie...I just stared as he went by. What else was I gonna do..."OMG, you are so hot!"? Yeah, not me...
5) Keanu Reeves- Sat behind me at a baseball game. I kinda felt bad for the guy. He made it through a few innings before everyone figured out who he was and stared at him.
6) Andy Garcia- Filming a movie on my street. Whatever...
7) Jeremy Piven- Riding a bike on the waterfront. I don't know why, but they always seem smaller in real life.
8) Barack Obama- You aren't gonna believe me, but he and his wife were at my wedding. I knew him before he was a friend of Oprah. Kinda weird that he is like the biggest thing ever now...He doesn't call so much anymore, maybe he's been busy:)
9) Chris Farley- This was kind of sad. It was the same place I saw the Spice Girls, and it was the week before he passed away. He was so funny:(
10) David Byrne-Just walking down the street with a yellow backpack. He was in town for a concert and he was just out bopping around. I loved the Talking Heads!
11) William Hurt- He was wandering around Denver Airport...kinda looked lost.
12) Mario Lopez- This was when he was Slater. My bro and I saw him in a Gap on Melrose Ave. in LA. We were both like..."That's Slater".
13) Joe Strummer- Saddest of all. He was at a record store promoting his last CD. The Clash is the best band ever! He passed away shortly after. I know if I would have said anything, I would have sounded like a blithering idiot. "OMG, you're Joe Strummer...The Clash is the coolest...You are the coolest...My bro says U2 is the best band ever, but I say it's the Clash!" Yeah, I refrained from that...
So, I run into famous people, and I never say anything. Which makes me wonder..."Who would I talk to if I ran into them?" Maybe Bono, or Christian Bale...how about Andy Roddick? Then I think I would just sound like a blithering idiot (think Chris Farley Show). Think I'll stick to the double take and walk away...
What about you, brushes with fame?