As I was running my 9 miles (we are now in the taper) down to Mariano's Lakeshore East for the final nutrition seminar before the Marathon, I was a little sad.
Mariano's Wellness page Marathon Nutrition Guide. We are now in the taper nutrition phase. Up to now, we have been fueling our bodies for the miles it runs…so, less mileage = less fuel needed. This is not a green light to begin skipping meals, but instead taper your nutrition:
- Scale back on the portion sizes.
- Decrease the frequency of feedings such as eliminating that
mid-morning snack, but don’t skip breakfast.
- Remain hydrated so the urine is clear to pale yellow.
- Gradually reduce intake of potentially dehydrating items –
alcohol, caffeine, etc.
- Manage your stress to avoid unconscious eating that might derail all your
good intentions & hard work.
I think I am as ready as I can be. My 20 miler went really well. That said, any way you slice it, adding another 6.2 miles to it is a big deal. I've done everything I can do...now it's all about hoping the weather is my friend on race day. Gah...I'm nervous and excited...and I'll be really happy to see Mariano's at the finish line!
For more on Mariano's and the Chicago Marathon, you can check them out on Facebook and Twitter. You can also check out my Google+ gallery!